First of all: always check your gauge. I didn’t, thinking I’d be smarter than that, and then this happened:
About 12 rows in I realized that on the first page of the pattern it says: 4 rows x 8 stitches = 3 in x 3 in
Ahem. Said amount of rows and stitches? Not even 2 inches on my piece. So I grabbed another ball of Perfino, as well as a size 10mm hook, and did a swatch – as I should have done in the first place. And – yay – it’s somewhere between 2.5 and 3 inches now. 3 inches post-blocking, I am certain.
So… ribbit. That hurt, considering how lengthy of a project (- see what I did there?) this is going to be.
Advantage: With a size 10 mm hook, I’ll be done faster than with a 9 mm. Also, the resulting fabric is even stretchier and “fluffier”, if you will.
Disadvantage: I had to start over! (I am currently at row 23 after restarting… but to think that this could be row 44, had I only been smarter in the first place… *wail*)
Note to self: gauge-check – don’t guesstimate.
And then I ran out of gray Perfino. On January 6. A holiday that features nothing but closed stores. Frustration level: 19876599875 out of 10.
(Situation is fixed as of today. Onwards!)
And second, just FYI: there is another Moogly Afghan CAL being kicked off today! Block #01/2016 can be found here. Of course, I am still far from finishing 2015, but I am happy to see that there are going to be more 12″ squares – because for my size blanket I need more than 2015’s 24 patterns anyway – so I am going to make a 2015/16 combination afghan!